Tuesday, 14 January 2014

Art for the home || Portraits by Hester Finch

Hester Finch is my super talented and amazing friend whose painting and drawings I absolutely love, so I wanted to share some of her incredible work on this blog. Since we moved house from our doesn't-get-much-more-temporary army quarter, into our purchased permanent abode, I've been thinking a lot more carefully about what I, sorry, we, put on the walls. So far it's meant pretty bare walls except for the hallway where I've got a bit mad and put loads up.

I've been keeping a pinterest board for arrangements I like, but to be perfectly honest I don't know why I'm worrying about arrangements when we haven't even picked out what we want yet. One thing is decided, and that is that the army photographs, of which there are literally hundreds, are going in a custom made museum size album that fits into one of the giant sideboard drawers. Anyway, gone a little off topic there, what I'm trying to say is I know everyone likes to be different and put their own personality into the home. And it really doesn't get much more personal than choosing art. So getting a piece commissioned is a pretty genius idea ticking the 'personal' box and ticking the 'original' box.


'Jasmine' by Hester Finch

As well as doing her own non-commissioned work, Hester spent lots of 2013 working on her portraiture, such as her most recent painting 'Jasmine' which you can see above. What do you think? Personally, I absolutely love it for the colour and the feeling I get that I know a little about this girl just from looking at this painting. We are lucky enough to have 3 pieces of work by Hester, and my favourite is probably the pencil drawing she did of me and her together from a photograph. We had planted a giant tub of herbs in our shared house in Clapham North many years ago, when we finished we balanced a camera on a chair, crouched down and took a timer-photo of our green-fingered achievement. When we left the house, she did the drawing and gave it to me as a card. A most treasured possession that I carefully stowed away in an enormous book of Shakespeare plays and then promptly forgot where I'd put it. When I was eventually reunited with it I got it framed so it's safe now, and actually up on the wall. I tried to photograph it to share on here but it came out so badly I had to abandon that idea. Instead I've shared a favourite from the portraits - 'The Cope Girls'.


The Cope Girls by Hester Finch

I really love it and there are lots more you can see here. As well as doing the portraits, Hester is still very focused on her non-commissioned work and you can see that work here. One of my favourites 'The Stranger' is below.


The Stranger by Hester Finch

She is also working on a solo show which is taking place later this Spring, I'll post the details on here in case you'd like to come. If you want to get in touch with Hester, click here for the contact page on the website. Please let me know what you think in the comments section below, would love to hear your thoughts. Thank you Hester for letting me feature your incredible work on this blog. You're amazing and I'm so proud you.

All images: Hester Finch.

1 comment:

  1. Love these! She's so talented, would love details on any shows or where I can buy one of the lovely pics! X

    ReplyDelete